Florida Confederate Monuments

We have seen an increase of communities aggressively debating the impact, meaning, and respectfulness of Confederate monuments, memorials and symbols within public spaces.  Many of these communities have elected to move them to storage and others have asked private organizations to assume ownership and responsibility for them within private spaces.  However, those that have been moved to these privately-owned spaces have seen numerous destructive acts against these historic treasures.  Some were destroyed before they could be moved, leaving only photographs to remember them by. 

While some groups and individuals use these memorial sites to spread hate, others like the Sons of Confederate Veterans use them to memorialize our ancestors that died during the War.  Our goal is not to spread hate, but to preserve the memory of those that fought in this horrific war which took the lives of many southerners and northerners alike. 

It is our mission to preserve our southern heritage and we take this mission seriously.  We believe that historic preservation requires taking all aspects of our history seriously. We are all stewards of our nation’s history, both good and bad.  The removal and destruction of monuments, memorials, and symbols does not and will not change, correct, or erase history.  This includes the War Between the States, our nation’s bloodiest conflict.

There are hundreds of Confederate monuments throughout the United States. While some may have been erected for hateful purposes, most them were not.   These monuments are also historically significant and essential to understanding a critical period of our nation’s history.  We cannot and should not erase our history. 

To preserve Confederate monuments located throughout Florida, we have provided photos and descriptions of all known Florida monuments below, for your viewing pleasure. 

Bartow

7th Florida Infantry Regiment Monument

The monument was erected on the grounds of Old Polk County Courthouse by the SCV, General Evander McIver Law Camp and dedicated to Company E of the 7th Florida Infantry Regiment - the "South Florida Bulldogs" on 3 July 1982.

(Photos by William Lees, FPAN, March 2009)

Bradenton

Memory of Our Confederate Soldiers Monument

​The monument was erected on the grounds of the Manatee County Courthouse by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Judah P. Benjamin Chapter and dedicated to Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis and the "Memory of Our Confederate Soldiers" on 3 June 1924.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, March 2009)

Bradfordville

​Robert E. Lee Monument

The monument was erected along Highway 319, north of Tallahassee by the United Daughters of the Confederacy "and friends" in 1927.   It has moved three times - the first in 1966, the second in the late 1990's and is now on the same highway one mile south of the Georgia border.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, June 2010)

Brooksville

​Confederate Soldiers' Memorial

The monument was erected on the grounds of the Hernando County Courthouse by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Brooksville Chapter in honor of Confederate Soldiers on 3 June 1916.  

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2008)

Chattahoochee

CSS Chattahoochee Monument

The monument was erected on County Road 269 near the approximate location of the now unmarked graves of the 17 sailors killed in a boiler explosion aboard the CSS Chattahoochee at Blountstown on the Apalachicola River on 27 May 1863. A portion of the vessel is on display at the National Naval Civil War Museum in Columbus, Georgia.

(Photo courtesy Fred Gaske, taken July 2009)

Dade City

​Confederate Soldiers Memorial

The memorial was erected in Mount Zion Cemetery, Dade City, Florida on 22 April 2006 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Augusta Jane Evans Wilson Chapter #2640 and the Sons of Confederate Veterans, Gen. Jubal A. Early Camp #556.  It is dedicated to the “Memory of The Pasco County Pioneers Who Sacrificed for the Cause of the Confederate States of America”.

(Photo courtesy of www.waymarking.com)

Pasco County Confederate Veterans Memorial

 

The memorial was erected in the Townsend House Cemetery, Dade City, Florida on 10 April 2010 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Augusta Jane Evans Wilson Chapter #2640 and the Sons of Confederate Veterans, Gen. Jubal A. Early Camp #556.  It is dedicated to the Pasco County Pioneers interred here who were heroic defenders of the Confederate States of America.

(Photo courtesy of www.waymarking.com)

Daytona Beach

​Confederate Sun Dial Monument

The monument was erected on 26 April 1961 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Chapter 1955 and given in loving memory of our Confederate dead by the Southern citizens of Daytona Beach.  On 18 August 2017, it was moved to the Halifax Historical Museum, located a few blocks from Riverfront Park.


(Photo courtesy of www.waymarking.com)

All War Veterans Memorial

Individual plaques were donated and placed by the Daughters of the American Revolution, Sons of Confederate Veterans, and Halifax Area Central Veterans Council. The memorial was dedicated to the memory of the Sons and Daughters of this community who served in the US wars. The plaques  were moved on 18 August 2018 to the Halifax Historical Museum.

(Photo courtesy of www.waymarking.com)

Defuniak Springs

Florida's First Confederate Monument

The monument was originally erected on the grounds of the Euchee Valley Presbyterian Church and dedicated “to the memory of the Confederate dead of Walton County” by the Walton County Female Memorial Association in 1871, six years after the close of the War.  The monument was moved to Eucheeanna and then to the grounds of the Defuniak Springs Courthouse in 1927. An historical marker commemorating Florida’s First Confederate monument was also placed at the Courthouse in 1967.

 

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, July 2009)

Deland

​Confederate Veteran Memorial

The monument was erected at the Oakdale Cemetery in Deland, Florida by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Florida Division Stonewall Jackson Chapter No. 1981, on 27 September 1958. It is dedicated as a "Loving tribute to the memory of our Confederate dead in Oakdale Cemetery."    

(Photo by Gregg Harding, FPAN, May 2011)

Dixie County

​American Veteran Monument

​The monument was erected in 2005 on Highway 98, west of Old Town, Florida by the United Sons of the Confederacy of Dixie County in honor of all American veterans.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2011)

Ellentown

​Judah P. Benjamin Confederate Memorial

The memorial was erected on the grounds of the Gamble Plantation Historic State Park by the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the State of Florida in 1925.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2010)

Confederate Veterans Memorial Monument

This is the second memorial that was erected on the grounds of the Gamble Plantation Historic State Park by the United Daughters of the Confederacy on 10 October 1937.


(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, February 2011)

Fort Myers

​Robert E. Lee Monument

The memorial was erected on 19 January 1966 to honor Robert E. Lee’s Pre-War career as an army engineer by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Laetitia Ashmore Nutt Chapter #1447 and citizens of Fort Myers.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, February 2011)

Gainesville

​In Memory of the Confederate Dead Monument

The monument was erected on the grounds of the Alachua County Courthouse by the United Daughters of the Confederacy on 19 January 1904.  The monument was removed to a private cemetery in 2017.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2011)

Jacksonville

​Camp Captain Mooney Cemetery

The cemetery was created on 1 March 1864 when Confederates killed in an attack on Camp Captain Mooney were buried where they fell.  Within the cemetery is a hand-made monument marking the location of unknown Confederate soldiers, a monument erected in 2001 to commemorate the battle that occurred here, and a monument marking a Confederate veterans plot.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2011)

Confederate Park

The park was opened in 1907 and originally named Dignan Park.  It was renamed when the United Confederate Veterans chose the locale as the site for their annual reunions in 1914.

On 26 October 1915, the Women of the Southern Confederacy monument was erected by the United Confederate Veterans, Florida Division "In memory of the women of our southland". 

 (Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2009)

Hemming Park

The monument was erected on 16 June 1898 and donated to the State of Florida by Charles C. and Lucy Key Hemming.  Hemming had served with the Jacksonville Light Infantry during the Civil War and later became a successful Texas businessman.  In May 1901, a fire began in Jacksonville that burned 146 city blocks and 2,638 buildings, including most of downtown.  The monument was one of the few Jacksonville landmarks that survived. 


(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, December 2008)

Yellow Bluff Fort Monument

Yellow Bluff Fort was constructed in 1862 as part of the Confederate defenses of Jacksonville.  It is now preserved as Yellow Bluff Historic State Park.  On 5 March 1951, the United Daughters of the Confederacy erected a monument on this site dedicated to the memory of the Confederate defenders of Jacksonville during the Civil War.  On 14 August 2017, the city decided to have this and other confederate monuments moved to local "museums and educational institutions".

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, July 2008)

Key West

Confederate Memorial Pavilion 

The Confederate Memorial Pavilion located at Bayview Park in Key West, Florida was erected in 1924 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Stephen R. Mallory Chapter.  The monument was dedicated on 19 January 1924 "To the Soldiers and Sailors of the Confederacy".

Navy Club Memorial

The monument was erected in 1866 by the Navy Club of Key West in Mallory Square.  It was funded by the property sales of the East Gulf Blockading Squadron, headquartered in Key West.  It was dedicated to memory of "those of their comrades who had fallen during the severe epidemics of Yellow Fever, which visited the station during the war."

(Photos courtesy of the Florida State Archives, Florida Memory Project, RC03649, www.floridamemory.com)

Lake City

Last Confederate War Widow

The monument was erected after the burial of Nena Mosely Feagle in Oaklawn Cemetery in 1985 by the Sons of Confederate Veterans.  Mrs. Feagle had no first-hand encounter with the Civil War.  The "Last Confederate War Widow of Florida" title refers to the fact that she was married to a Confederate veteran. 

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, November 2008)

Our Confederate Dead Monument

The monument was erected in 1901 and rededicated in 1996 by chapters of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.  It commemorates the sacrifice of the Confederate soldiers, many of them unknown by name, buried in this soldier’s plot and who died during the Battle of Olustee in 20 February 1864.  It is surrounded by over one-hundred graves.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, July 2008)

Confederate Dead of Battle of Olustee Monument

The monument was erected in front of the Columbia County Courthouse in downtown Lake City and was unveiled in 1928.  It commemorates the Battle of Olustee and the 151 Confederate soldiers killed there.  It is inscribed with the names of some of known soldiers and the remainder were buried as unknown.  The monument directs visitors to the Oaklawn Cemetery in Lake City, where there is soldier plot containing these Confederate dead.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, July 2008)

Lakeland

​Confederate Dead Monument

The monument was erected and dedicated on 3 June 1910 in Munn Park by United Daughters of the Confederacy, Lakeland Chapter.   

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, March 2009)

Live Oak

​Temporary Confederate Monument

The temporary monument was constructed for the state reunion of the United Confederate Veterans in 1909. 

Confederate veterans reunited for group portrait in Live Oak, Florida.These were eight members of the First Florida Reserve Regiment Company D. Photographed at a state convention of Confederate Veterans where a monument was temporarily erected.  L-R: Joseph P. Webb, John D. Willis, Arnett Landing, S.W. Page, Sylvanus Mortimer Hankins, John T. Clark, Robert Pickles and Andrew J. Loper.


(Photo courtesy of Florida State Archives, Florida Memory Project, rc05119, www.floridamemory.com)

Madison

​Confederate Monument

The monument was erected on 3 June 1909 in Four Freedoms Park by the United Daughters of the Confederacy.  The names of the Confederate soldiers from the units formed in Madison County who were killed in action or died in service in the War.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, April 2008)

Marianna

​Battle of Marianna Monument

The monument was erected west of the Jackson County Courthouse on 2 November 1921 to commemorate the defenders of the town during the battle that took place in Marianna on 27 September 1864. It is inscribed with "Live forever, immortal heroes, defenders of home and liberty”.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, July 2008)

In Memory of the Confederate Soldiers of Jackson County, Florida Monument

The monument was erected on the grounds of the Jackson County Courthouse on 30 November 1881.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, February 2008)

Confederate Defenders of Marianna Monument

The monument was erected in 2008 by the Sons of Confederate Veterans, Theophilus West, M.D. Camp 1346, in a Confederate soldiers plot within Riverside Cemetery containing graves of soldiers who died in the Battle of Marianna.

 

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, July 2008)

Miami

​Our Heroes Confederate Monument

The monument was erected on the southeast corner of the grounds of the Dade County Courthouse in 1913 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Southern Cross Chapter. It was dedicated on the anniversary of Jefferson Davis' birthday, 3 June 1914.  Due to construction in 1927, the moment was relocated to Confederate Circle in the City of Miami Cemetery.  Unfortunately, the granite obelisk was knocked over during a hurricane and was never replaced.  The base was also incorrectly reassembled.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, March 2009)

Monticello

​Our Fall Heroes Monument

The monument to "our fallen heroes" was erected on the Jefferson County Courthouse grounds by the Ladies Memorial Association of Jefferson County on 3 June 1899.  The panels found on this monument expresses the growing sentiment of remembrance and glorification of the memory of the southern sacrifice during the War.

(Courtesy of Florida State Archives, Florida Memory Project, N029071, www.floridamemory.com)

Newnansville

​Confederate Monument

The monument was erected in 2002 in the Newnansville Cemetery located in Alachua County by the Alachua Lions Club.  It was dedicated “In honor of our Confederate Veterans”.

(Photo courtesy of www.waymarking.com)

Ocala

Confederate Dead Monument

The monument was erected on the Marion County Courthouse grounds 1 May 1908 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Dickison Chapter No. 56. It was moved to Veterans Memorial Park and rededicated on 16 April 2011.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2011)

Olustee

Battlefield Monument

The monument was erected on 23 October 1912 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy on land purchased in 1909 by the State of Florida to preserve a portion of the battlefield and dedicated to the men who fought and triumphed here.  The land was named Olustee Battlefield Historic State Park.  The monument was rededicated in 1994.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, November 2005)

General Joseph Finnegan Monument

The monument was erected by the United Daughters of the Confederacy in the 1930s.  It was placed on the front left-hand side of the larger Olustee Battlefield monument that was erected in 1912.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, November 2005)

General Alfred Holt Colquitt Monument

The monument was erected in 1936 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy.  It was placed on the front right-hand side of the larger Olustee Battlefield monument that was erected in 1912.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, November 2005)

Orlando

Confederate "Johnny Reb" Monument

The monument was erected in 1911 to honor the memory of the Soldiers, Sailors, and Statesmen of the Confederate States of America by the United Daughters of the Confederacy in downtown Orlando, but was moved to Lake Eola Park in 1917.  It was removed from the park to a private location in 2017.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, February 2009)

Ormond Beach

Confederate Monument, Pilgrim's Rest Cemetery

The Pilgrim's Rest Baptist Church and Cemetery was established in Ormond Beach in 1908.  The church was moved when Granada Boulevard was widened but the cemetery remains.  A monument to honor the six Confederate veterans buried in the cemetery was erected in 2011. 

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2011)

Palatka

Our Confederate Heroes Monument

The monument was erected on the grounds of the Putnam County Courthouse in 1924 and unveiled on 26 April 1925 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Patton Anderson Chapter.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, August 2008)

Panama City

Asbell Park Salt Kettle Monument

The monument and outdoor exhibit was erected in Asbell Park, commemorating the salt works operating during the Civil War on St. Andrews Bay. The original cast iron salt kettle used during the War was erected to commemorate the salt works operating in the area by the Bay County Historical Society.  It is located near a state historical marker detailing the history of salt production by the Confederacy.

 (Photo by William Lees, FPAN, December 2010)

Our Confederate Heroes Monument

The monument was erected on the grounds of the Putnam County Courthouse in 1924 and unveiled on 26 April 1925 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Patton Anderson Chapter.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, August 2008)

Pensacola

Stephen Mallory Grave and Monument

U.S. Senator Stephen R. Mallory served as the Confederate Secretary of the Navy.  His gravesite and monument is in historic St. Michaels Cemetery.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, October 2010)

Our Confederate Dead Monument

The monument that represents an 1865 Confederate Soldier was erected in Lee Square by the Ladies Confederate Monument Association of Pensacola on 17 June 1891. 

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2009)

Perry

Confederate Monument

The monument was erected and dedicated in 2007 by the Sons of Confederate Veterans, 2nd Lt. Joseph Morgan, Camp 2012 and the Order of Confederate Rose Nancy Hart Chapter 8 “to the loving memory of our confederate ancestors”.  It is located north of Perry on U.S. Highway 27 (19) by the Taylor County Sports Complex.

 (Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2011)

Plant City

Cow Cavalry Monument

The monument was erected by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Plant City Chapter #1931 on the grounds of the old Plant City High School, now the Quintilla Geer Bruton Archives Center, on 17 November 2007.  It is dedicated to the "Cow Cavalry," which was a unit that gathered and protected herds of cattle in Florida to feed the soldiers during the War.   

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2011)

Quincy

Our Fallen Heroes Monument

The monument was erected on the grounds of the Gadsden County Courthouse by the ladies of the Memorial Association of Gadsden Count on 3 June 1884.  It is dedicated to the soldiers from Gadsden County who died during the War.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, July 2009)

Confederate Memorial

 

The memorial was dedicated and installed on 10 April 2010 in Soldiers Cemetery within Eastern Cemetery by the Sons of Confederate Veterans, Finley’s Brigade, Camp 1614.

(Photo courtesy of www.waymarking.com)

St. Augustine

Our Dead Confederate Monument

The monument was erected in La Plaza de la Constitution in St. Augustine by the Ladies Memorial Association of St. Augustine in 1879 and honors "Our Dead".  This monument is said to have been visited by President Ulysses S. Grant during a stop in St. Augustine in 1880.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, December 2009)

William Wing Loring Monument

The monument was erected in the west end of the downtown Plaza in St. Augustine, at the northeast corner of Cordova and King streets, by the United Daughters of the Confederacy in 1920 to honor General Loring

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2008)

St. Cloud

Confederate Monument

The monument was erected in Veterans Park on 22 April 2006 by the Sons of Confederate Veterans, Jacob Summerlin Camp.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2011)

St. Petersburg

Confederate Monument

The monument was originally erected in Greenwood Cemetery by veterans and friends in 1900.  There in an identical Union monument located nearby. 

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2011)

Tallahassee

Confederate Monument of Leon County

The monument was erected in April 1881 by “our country women” on the former Florida State Capitol ground, now a museum.  It is dedicated "To rescue from oblivion and perpetuate in the memory of succeeding generations the heroic patriotism of the men of Leon County who perished in the Civil War of 1861-1865. 

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, November 2008)

Tampa

Confederate Dead Monument

The soldiers plot in Woodlawn Cemetery contains the burials of 30 Confederate veterans.  The monument in the center was erected by the Loring Camp of the United Confederate Veterans in 1913.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, March 2009)

Memoria In Aeterna Monument

The monument was erected on the grounds of the old Hillsborough County Courthouse on 8 February 1911 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy.  It was relocated in 1952 upon completion of the current courthouse building.  A state historical marker about this monument was placed at this site in 1997 following the 1996 restoration of the monument.

After voting in July 2017, the monument is being moved to a family cemetery in Brandon.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, March 2009)

U.S.S. Sagamore Monument

The monument commemorates the bombardment of the cemetery by the U.S.S. Sagamore in 1862.  It is located in the Confederate cemetery within Oaklawn Cemetery, north of downtown Tampa.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2008)

Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument

The Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument memorializes the soldiers buried in the Confederate cemetery within Oaklawn Cemetery, north of downtown Tampa.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2008)

Darwin Branch Givens Monument

The Darwin Branch Givens Monument commemorates Darwin Givens, a young boy who alerted Tampa of an invading force of Union Soldiers. It is located in the Confederate cemetery within Oaklawn Cemetery, north of downtown Tampa.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2008)

Confederate Memorial Park

The Confederate Memorial Park, located off Interstate 75, was dedicated on 25 April 2009 as a tribute to the men who answered the call of duty in the defense of our Southland.  The Memorial Park is owned and operated by the Sons of Confederate, Florida Division.

(Photo courtesy of Tampa Bay Times, 22 June 2015)

Trenton

Confederate Monument

The monument was erected by the Sons of Confederate Veterans, John Hance O’Steen, Camp 770 on 24 April 2010 across from Gilchrist County Courthouse in Veterans' Park and dedicated to the local veterans.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, May 2011)

West Palm Beach

Confederate Monument

The monument was erected in 1941 near the front entrance of Woodlawn Cemetery by the United Daughters of the Confederacy and dedicated “in memory of our confederate soldiers”.  The monument was removed on 22 August 2017 and placed in storage.

(Photo courtesy of mypalmbeachpost.com, 25 June 2015)

White Springs

Confederate Monument

The monument was erected off the right-of-way of Interstate 75 and south of County Road 136 Interchange in 2002 by the Florida Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. 

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, February 2011)

Woodville

Old Gateway Monuments

Early in the park's history, two pillars stood on either side of Natural Bridge Road at the point where the Confederate earthworks crossed.  They are no longer a part of the Natural Bridge landscape, but the photo shows how they once looked.

(Photo courtesy of the Florida State Archives, Florida Memory Project, FPS00873, www.floridamemory.com)

Battle of Natural Bridge Monument

The monument was authorized by the 1921 Florida Legislature to commemorate the Confederate victory at Natural Bridge.  The monument was dedicated on 26 April 1922 and is now the centerpiece of the Natural Bridge Battlefield State Historic State Park that preserves and interprets a significant portion of the original battlefield.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, July 2008)

Flanking Monuments

These monuments were placed on the front left and right-hand sides of the 1921 Natural Bridge monument.  They have several inset dedication panels dated to 1919 and are the first monuments erected on the battlefield. 

(Photos by William Lees, FPAN, November 2008)

Confederate and Union Soldiers Monument

The monument was erected in 2000  to honor the Union and Confederate soldiers who died at the Battle of Natural Bridge.

(Photo by William Lees, FPAN, July 2008)  

Dixie Defenders,

Camp 2086

© 2023 by Dixie Defenders, Camp 2086